So you want to start a blog? That’s one of the best decisions you can make in this era. This is a detailed guide on how to start a blog in Nigeria with N5000 to N12,000 easily without having to hire any website or blog designer.
In this guide, you will briefly know;
- What a blog is and the benefits of having one
- Which platform is best for blogging
- Where to buy domain and hostname at a cheaper price
- eBook on how to set up a blog on WordPress
Let’s get started.
Do you know you can actually have a professional WordPress blog set up for as little as $15? Yes, you can! In this article, you know how.
What is a blog and why should you have one?
A blog, formerly called, a weblog is a small, personal website. It is for displaying information in reverse chronological order I.e the newest posts appear first. A blog is a platform where someone or a group of people share their passions with the rest of the world.
What is Blogging?
Blogging is simply the process of keeping a blog updated that is, writing and publishing articles on the blog. It is simply the set of skills needed to run a blog.
Who is a Blogger?
Blogger is someone who owns, runs ad control a blog.
Whatever you know how to do, you can do it with your blog.
Purposes/Benefits of having a blog in Nigeria/world at large
There are tons of reasons to start a blog in Nigeria. It can be for personal use or business.
- For businesses that already have a website, having a blog that is frequently updated will help increase your visibility on search engines in front of the right audiences. Without a blog, your business website will remain almost invisible.
- Blog sends quality leads to your business
- Personally, a blog is an avenue to share things that interest you with the rest of the world.
- Blogging helps sharpen your writing skill and bring about an increase in knowledge in the area you should blog about
- A blog can be a source of side income for you or the main source depending on how seriously you take it.
Blog terms to know
- Domain: A custom domain name is the website address your blog will be available on. It is just like your home address. Anyone that wants to see you will have to come down to your house right? That’s how domain work too. It is what people type in their browsers to access your blog content. E.g www.assistblogger.com .com domain costs $6.06 presently on Namecheap.
- Hosting Space: It is also called server space. It is provided by web hosting companies like Namecheap. It is where everything about your blog, contents, updates, designs, etc will be stored so that it can be accessible by anyone at any time from anywhere in the world. Hosting space is needed for having a self-hosted blog.
- Cpanel: This is the control room that will be provided by the host company for you to install WordPress on the domain name you have bought and set up the blog.
- Niche: This simply means the area of life you want to blog about. See a detailed guide on how to choose your blog niche here.
How to buy a domain name & host account at a cheaper price in Nigeria
The web hosting company I use and strongly recommend is Namecheap. On Namecheap, you can buy your .com domain name for just $6.06 and 20gb hosting account for just $8.88 because they are offering a promo.
To know how to buy a cheap domain name and host on Namecheap, check out this detailed guide here before you continue with the steps below.
Best platforms for blogging In Nigeria
If you want to start a blog in Nigeria, there are two platforms to pick from, WordPress.org & Blogspot (Blogger). I strongly recommend WordPress.org (otherwise known as a Self-hosted blog).
Benefits of blogging on WordPress.org
As I said earlier, WordPress.org is the best blogging platform you can ever think of. It is called a self-hosted blog because you will be hosting it yourself and when you do, you have total control over your blog.
- You own your website and all its data and you are in full control
- You can add free, paid, and custom WordPress plugins/apps to your website
- You can use customize your website design any way you want
- You can actually make money by running your own ads without sharing revenue with anyone
- You can use self-hosted WordPress to create an online store to sell digital or physical products, accept credit card payments, and deliver/ship the goods directly from your website
- You can also create membership sites and sell memberships for premium content, courses, etc.
How to start a blog on WordPress In Nigeria with $15
To start a blog on WordPress, follow the steps below;
STEP ONE: Pick a Niche. This is the area of life your blog will be based on. E.g Health, Sort, Entertainment, Finance, etc.
NOTE: You must make sure people are spending money in that niche and has high search volume and audiences. See a guide on how to choose your blog niche here.
STEP TWO: Buy a domain name that matches the niche of your blog. When you are sure of the domain name, check if it’s available. If it is, go ahead and buy. Use the widget below;
Find your preferred domain starting at $0.88 and secure it NOW!
powered by Namecheap
NOTE: I recommend you buy .com domain name and not .com.ng
STEP THREE: Buy your hosting account. I recommend the Stellar shared hosting plan on Namecheap. Presently, it costs just $8.88. Why not hurry before it goes up? If you have watched the video on how to apply the Namecheap coupon, click here.
STEP FOUR: Once your domain and host account is ready, go ahead and install WordPress on the domain in your Cpanel.
STEP FIVE: When WordPress is installed, login to your blog dashboard (where you will be controlling everything as per the articles and appearance), set up the blog correctly, install a theme that fits your niche, and then start writing.
I know the setting up of the blog will likely pose a problem if you are totally new to WordPress.
SEE ALSO: 5 Ways To improve your blog
To make it easy for you, I have come up with an eBook, “WordPress Blog Companion: How to have a self-hosted WordPress blog” to guide you step by step without having to hire anyone.
How to make Payment for WordPress Blog Companion
The book costs just N1000 instead of the normal N5000. If you are like me that love learning rather than paying for people to do it, you should get this book now.
BONUSES you will get if you get this book now:
- You will have access to the video guide if you buy now.
- I will help you personally with the design free of charge.
- You will have free access to the Assist Blogger Academy membership site, worth N5000.
How to make money with a blog in Nigeria
There are various ways to monetize a blog in Nigeria and globally, but the popular ones are;
- Google AdSense: It is the number one ad network for bloggers across the globe. When you set up your blog rightly, update it with original content, and apply for it. You will be paid when your visitors start acting on the ads on your blog.
- AdSense alternatives: These are monetization schemes that work just like AdSense. But Google AdSense performs better
- Ad space: When you have enough traffic daily to your blog, you can be advertising people’s businesses and products and they will pay you for doing so.
- Sponsored post: This is also a form of advertisement. But in the form of an article. You get paid also for doing it for people.
- Affiliate Marketing: This is done by signing up on companies that offer affiliate promotions. You get paid your commission when you sell products that are related to your blog content and appeal to your audiences via your affiliate link.
Before you can make lots of money on your blog, you need to keep driving traffic to it every blessed day. See how to drive traffic to your blog here.
Wrapping up how to start a blog in Nigeria with N5000 to N12,000
Starting a blog in Nigeria nowadays is not as hard and costly as it used to be. With just $15 you can have a prof WordPress blog set up by yourself without having to hire me or anyone else.
This article has given you the best guide to follow in order to start a blog in Nigeria. Follow it and you will see your blog will soon be live.
Don’t forget to share this article with a friend.